PCB in Military Market
PCB design for military and aerospace
PCB-based products are used for hundreds of applications in a variety of industries. Applications in the military industry include the following:
1. Gun applications:
Military and civilian gun manufacturers typically use PCB army in their test equipment. Manufacturers often use such equipment to ensure the safety and functionality of explosives, guns and ammunition before putting them on the market. Some of the equipment used includes penetrating impact loggers and impact test equipment.
2. Marine applications:
Underwater and marine applications are common places to find custom PCB printing. Military PCB is typically used in the control navigation, engine management and power distribution systems used on sailboats. Fluctuations in pressure and vibration cause designers to have to consider various factors to ensure normal and continuous function.
Military and aerospace PCBs are often affected by harsh environmental conditions, including elevated/fluctuating temperatures and extreme temperature and humidity. Moreover, they are often exposed to irritating chemicals, hydrocarbon solutions, dust and other pollutants. Only the PCBA circuit board from the best quality materials manufactured with the correct manufacturing methods will withstand harsh conditions in military and aerospace applications.
How to design military and aerospace PCB?
In contrast to standard boards, PCB means that military and aerospace applications require special treatment in terms of design, manufacturing and assembly. When PCB manufacturing companies are assembling PCB for the military and aerospace industries, some additional features must be incorporated. Some of them include:
1. Use coolant to dissipate heat when it's necessary.
2. Add additional shielding and grounding to the key wiring.
3. Use the high-quality acrylic spray to coat the PCB to protect them from the corrosive environment.
4. Use components with military specifications rather than commercial-grade components.
5. Use appropriate terminating techniques.
6. Carefully select materials and components to withstand high temperatures. These include PyraluxAP, epoxy laminates (such as FR408) and various metal core materials.
7. Use extremely reliable finishing materials to enhance protection in harsh conditions. The most common decorative materials used in the assembly of military and aerospace PCB include:
ENIG. Electrolytic nickel and gold; ENEPIG; Lead-free HASL; Immersion silver; Electrolytic wire weldable gold; Smoby; Immersion au; Spray gun.
8. Produce military and aerospace-grade PCB in line with the standards of MIL-PRF-31032, MIL-PRF-50884 and MIL-PRF-55110.
9. Before delivery, please thoroughly verify the bending strength, bonding strength, wire width, thickness, resolution, protective coating and dielectric thickness, etc. Make sure you are prepared to use them in harsh industrial environments.
Maintaining quality and durability is critical when designing military and aerospace-grade PCB. A failure of the PCB can seriously affect the functionality of the application and thus the success of the overall mission.